101-201 Off Road Classes -
Written by MAL
Sunday, 25 March 2012 23:00
OCC's 101/201 Class - 2017
Who: Open to the public. All interested in 4x4's; new, old, experienced, beginner. (Must sign-up in advance)
What: Organized off-road skills classes and behind the wheel training (in your vehicle)
When: July 15th & 16th, Driver's Meeting 9:00am
Where: The Cove Campground near Gore, VA
Space is Limited, Sign up today!
Two class offerings:
- 101 – Intro to Off-Roading - Getting Ready for the Trail, Know Your Vehicle, and Negotiate Terrain
- 201 – Intermediate Skills - Field Vehicle Repair & Recovery and Intermediate Driving Skills
- * Note: Both classes will start Saturday morning until around lunch, and then each class will head out on the trail for further instruction. Sunday will be only on the trail instruction.
- Getting to Know Your 4WD Vehicle
- What to Bring; tools, gear and parts
- Wheeling basics, vehicle and its systems (4wd drive train components, traction devices, clearance, angles, flex/droop, etc.)
- Wheeling basics, the terrain and driving (Mud, water, logs, rocks, trails, hills, off-camber, driving techniques, negotiating obstacles)
- Trail Repairs (Drive-line removal/install, U-joint replacement, axle pull, setting a bead, temporary trail repairs, etc.)
- Spotting and Guiding
- Introduction to Recovery
- Advanced recovery, snatch-block, multiple winches, etc.
- Driving Exercise: Drive various terrain, obstacle negotiation, spotting, winching, etc.
How to Sign up?
- After you join the Yahoo Group, provide the following information on the Yahoo database (spreadhseet) for the class:
- Full Name
- Desired class (101 or 201)
- Days you will attend (Sat Only or both Sat and Sun)
- Vehicle year and model
- Passenger info
Specific Information for Attendees:
- Schedule of Events (subject to change)
- You must fill this out and bring it with you: Medical Release/Information Form
- You must fill this out and bring it with you: Liability Release Form
- You must be 18 years of age to participate.
- OCC is not charging anything for this event.
- The Cove Campground charges camping fees and land use fees to off-road, remember to bring cash for this.
- The Cove fees are as follows (subject to change): $17 per night camping/adult and ($8 kids 2-11yrs), $25 per day to drive off-road, $17 per day for passengers off-road
- Information and Directions to the Cove Campground.
- Bring food and drink for the duration of your stay.
- Become familiar with Tread Lightly Etiquette
- Check out OCC's calendar of upcoming events and our membership info if you are interested in joining the club.
Advance copies of possible Class Materials:
Last Updated on Wednesday, 21 December 2016 21:51